ello there! I know, I know, I know, I haven’t been updating this regularly, however, all of this changes here. You can say, I’ve caught a new wind. Here’s the first update [of many] in this lovely new year!
This past summer I took a trip to Chicago and after having the best deep dish pizza around, I couldn’t get it out of my head. Last night I decided it was about time to tackle the deep-dish-gooy-goodness! Although some many not like the “meat lovers” filling, there are many substitutes you can make, including layering regular old pep and cheese inside the crust!
**I made the pizza crust using the same recipe I shared with you when making the Chicken Mariachi Pizza. But I’ll include it in this post as well! It’s the easiest recipe ever for making fresh pizza dough!**
Ingredients for pizza dough:
1 (.25 oz.) package of dry active yeast
2 tsp. white sugar
1 c. warm water
2 1/2 c. bread (or all-purpose) flour
2 tbsp. olive oil
Ingredients for Pizza:
1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground sausage
1/2 lb. pepperoni stick, diced
1 chopped green bell pepper
1 tsp. dried italian seasoning
1 cup marinara sauce
2 cups shredded Italian cheese
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Preparing pizza dough:
1. Preheat over to 450 degrees.
2. In bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water for about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in flour, salt, & oil. Beat until smooth, then let dough rest for 5 minutes.
4. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface to press, pat, or roll into round pizza.
5. [Editors Note: For my deep dish pizza I was looking for the perfect pan to use without having to go buy a new one specifically designed for pizza, so I finally decided to used my large springform pan: Worked PERFECTLY!] Turn dough into a lightly floured springform pan and spread across bottom, allowing the edges of crust to rise half way up the side of the pan.
Preparing pizza filling:
1. In large skillet brown ground beef, ground sausage and pepperoni together. After cooked, drain all grease from pan.
2. Add in chopped green bell pepper and Italian seasoning, stir.
3. Mix both Italian cheese and parmasen cheeses together, coat bottom of pizza crust with a layer of the mixed cheese.
4. Now lay a thick layer of your beef, sausage and pepperoni mixture on top of cheese.
5. Evenly pour your marinara sauce on top of meat mixture.
6. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes, remove from oven.
7. Top with an additional layer of the cheese mixture and return to oven to bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
I simply removed the outer edge of the spring form pan, and brought the pizza to the table for serving, it turned out delicious!